Re: RE: Editioning

From: zamm@optonline.net
Date: 07/02/04-08:22:51 AM Z

Judy about sums this thread up,

Unless you are actually publishing your prints, i.e. you are a corporate business entity keeping a running ledger with documentation to show and trace providence at a later date, say, if a print changes hands with collectors four times and eventually winds up at auction, or is donated to a museum, or whatever, then it's pretty much up to the artist what or even if numbers are used.

Gum prints may be considered close to mono"prints"( as opposed to mono"types"), being that they use a common matrix, but the outcome is dependent upon the artist's hand, thus each one is different, but similar. Taxonomically speaking, they are of the same genus, but different species ( or for what we call "splitters" as opposed to "lumpers", a different "sub"-species ).
 A, B, C, or 1, 2, 3, or Mutt and Jeff, whatever... it's up to the artist...

Editions are considered "limited" when a fixed number is assigned to the edition. Let's say an edition of 20, or 20,000.
Each print is then further isolated by a separate number, such as number "3" out of 20 or 20,000. Here you have same genus AND same species.

So, it's up to the artist/printmaker how they want to define each separate print.
Hell, you could give them pet names! :)
Cheers, Craig Z.