Re: Editioning and trying to make identical prints

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 07/05/04-03:25:03 PM Z

As a collector if I buy a photograph that says 5/45, I expect 45
photographs to be sold of that IMAGE. Period! Now, if the photographer
marks the back of the mat "5/45 of silver gelatin prints, other
editions may be released in different media", then I'm a happy
collector and know what I've bought. If the photographer has an edition
of 45 without disclaimers, has sold 25 silver gelatin prints, and then
discovers platinum: I would have no problem with him/her making some or
all of the remaining 20 prints in platinum. But, to start another
edition of 45 in another media (platinum) is, to me, lying to the
collectors.

I will admit that both as a collector and as an artist I'm well on the
conservative side of this discussion.

Another very valid option is to not limit your work. I own two (of the
list's own) Dan Burkholder platinum prints. I have more prints than
wall space, so right now they are in storage. The "Ferguson Gallery" is
currently showing Bresson and Bravo :-)

But, if I remember correctly, Dan marks his with a number only (I own
print #12 for example). In other words, I bought the 12th print Dan
made of that image, but he didn't promise to limit the edition in
number or media (the print is marked 12, not 12/45). There may someday
be a print #33,333,333 of my platinum image made in Dan's new favorite
(ink over platinum). I knew that buying the print, so all is fair and
upfront. Actually I "think" Dan's price raises every so many prints, so
the 33 millionth print sold might be *^&%^$ pricey!

I'll point out that neither Bresson or Bravo had limited editions (or
at least my prints aren't).

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com