Re: typeface to go with photographs of various kinds

From: Kris Erickson ^lt;kris.erickson@utoronto.ca>
Date: 07/26/04-06:37:30 AM Z

Sorry, I didn't mean to duck the question; it's just if you're talking
about aesthetics and the decision making that goes into organizing a
body of work, it's a really big question... bear with me.

In my personal experience, I have chosen the look of the text well after
any decisions about the images have been made. I see that as a conscious
decision that may or may not be correct--however, I feel that the text
is secondary (tertiary?) to the images, and should be chosen always as a
complement to (rather than a distraction from) the images they go with.

A body I did a few years ago, flowers in cyanotype, has an introductory
statement in my handwriting (really my squiggle print/writing). Because
of the way the images were printed (the flowers appear to emerge out of
brush strokes), the original intent was to have the text in brush script
as a complement. Due to lack of space, however, the intro had to appear
in a more compact form (my writing), which kept the organic feel that
was wanted, but that was much more compact (and readable). To keep the
brushstroke flavour, the text was inverted on the page, and the
background became the cyanotype (a large brushstroke-shaped block of blue).

Regardless, all these aesthetic decisions were made after the original
prints were chosen and sequenced. I guess there was an inkling of what
the text was going to appear like during the initial stages (a sort of
'narrowing of the field' in terms of possibilities or options), but
nothing concrete was said or done until everything else had come together.

I chose Bulmer to complement a series of my photograms and a series of
my portraits that were shown in the same gallery space, and the only
real reason I can say why is that it reminded me of the face that the
Rockwell Kent illustrated version of Moby Dick was set in (which may
indeed have been Bulmer), because the pursuit and development of the two
bodies had seemed alternately like exploring uncharted waters, pursuing
elusive ideas, or exorcizing certain (institutional) demons. Strange,
elaborate, and tenuous connections at best--plus the fact that it was a
simple face, and I liked it.

perhaps i'll stop there.