Re: help identifying a book

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/02/04-01:31:57 PM Z

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, DENNIS KLINKER wrote:

> Judy while not having a copy of Carl Koenig's Gum Oil book in front of me i
> am sure from memory that he sited the Wade book as his inspiration. I think
> we should give credit to Koenig for giving this process the exposure he
> does.

Dennis, I'm of two minds about that. My impression of the "exposure"
Koenig gave the process is an article bylined "Koenig" in every photo
magazine of the day, even a little regional newletter from somewhere down
south, and as I recall (there could have been exceptions, but few) they
mostly plugged the book and did not mention other sources. That is,
here's this great new process, but you couldn't quite do it from the
article, there was always a formula, the bleach, or whatever, you had to
get the book for.... After a while it was almost comical -- although
frankly, I fault the editors for bad journalism -- though, on the other
hand, they themselves may not have known enough to tell that -the story
wasn't complete - as is often the case.

Plus, the concept "gum-oil" is itself unclear. I think it didn't exist
until Kent Wade.... that is, none of my dictionaries or encyclopedias of
photography pre 1978 list it. (My only post-1978 encyclopedia is Nadeau,
which doesn't list it either.) I never saw the term until Wade's 1978
book. Wonderful as Wade is (and a pioneer), footnote documentation wasn't
his strong suit. Wade's section on "Gum oil printing" shows 3 images, one
by John Borna, and two by Wade. There's a simple description of procedure,
but no info about origin... has anyone else seen it before this book?

Then in the "Bibliography" there is only this:

Barna, John. The Gum/Oil Print, Experimentation, Portland, Oregon.
Unpublished graduate paper.

I get the idea, therefore, that John Barna probably invented the
process... which Koenig has it seems made his own. Today the process is
cited widely (brilliant PR), although it doesn't seem to be widely used.
(I wonder how many folks persuaded to buy the book by those articles ever
did much with the process. ) Either way, it would seem that the basics, as
well as the name, may be Barna's, and he seems not to be credited.

J.

Gum Oil has in common with Postfactory review something very rare in