Re: old sepia toner

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 06/05/04-07:58:30 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <abracadabra@nuberroja.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:27 PM
Subject: old sepia toner

Excuse me friends, i have been without using chemiocals
almost ten years,
and now i am trying to remember an old sepia tones. The only
things i can
remember are:
1.- it was a beautiful sepia toner for paper

2.- a very old formulae

3.- very simple, only one or two ( perhaps only one)
chemical plus water

4.- That thing smell like hell or even worts ( ¿rotten
eggs?)

is there anybody out there who can help me?

thanks

    If this was a mix it yourself formula it might have been
Kodak T-8, a Polysulfide toner. Polysulfide toners can have
a definite hydrogen sulfide or rotten egg odor. Polysulfide
toner can be made with just liver of sulfur and water but
may have some alkali in them.

Kodak T-8
Water 750.0 ml
Polysulfide (Liver of Sulfur) 7.5 grams
Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated 2.5 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

This bath will work at room temperature but heating to about
100F will reduce toning time from 15-20 minutes to about 3
minutes.
After toning, rinse the print for a few seconds in running
water. After rinsing place in:

Water 1.0 liter
Sodium Bisulfite 30.0 grams

For about one minute. Then wash for at least 30 minutes.
Remove any sediment with a soft sponge.

Capacity is about 150 8x10 prints per gallon. If the bath
begins to get cloudy its life may be extended by adding
Sodium Carbonate: 2.5 grams per gallon.

Source: _Kodak Reference Handbook_ "Processing and Formulas"
1949 edition.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA