Re: Consider NJ

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/06/04-05:43:50 PM Z

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Dave Rose wrote:

> Proper NJ lingo is "down the shore". Since you haven't been to Atlantic
> City (since the big front wheel bicycle era), why would you think that
> "Donald Trump has ruined the place"? Good to hear that you're ready to
> explore the great uncharted wilderness beyond the banks of the Hudson River.
> :-)

Perhaps I spoke in haste (although I daresay the penny arcades where a kid
could spend an afternoon for 25 cents are no more), but (rightly or
wrongly) I associate Atlantic City today with Donald Trump. Like Dooley
said, or maybe it was Finney -- all I know is what I read in the papers,
and his is the only name mentioned.(It's also said that he is about to go
into bankruptcy there, which is interesting.)

But the man has put such a vile, unspeakable, hideous blight on a large
stretch of Manhattan's Upper West Side (called Trump City, deservedly,
long may it reign in infamy), that I don't want to go anywhere, spend a
nickle or in any way be part of his "other" city. I don't expect him to
cry out in anguish when he learns this, but, as Immanual Kant said -- act
so that the maxim of your action could be universal law.

NYC community groups, BTW, tried to stop that west side "development"
but the relevant powers (which know no shame) passed it. This particular
scene is unique in degree and extent of deadliness (a long LONG line of
super tombstones walling off the city from the river -- may all their
roofs leak and their walls crack and their tenants sue).

Meanwhile, I figure a more general resort, one not so centered on
gambling, would be better for my purpose anyway... (It's true I could get
a bus to Atlantic City right at Sheridan Square -- and travel down with
the local senior citizens going to lose their social security checks --
but they don't wear T-shirts, so forget it.)

Judy