Re: Ferric Ammonium Oxalate + Potassium Chloroplatinite Solution Shelf Life

From: altprinter ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 06/16/04-03:26:41 PM Z

Loris,

I think mixing AFO and platinum or palladium will have a limited life time unless you plan to use it very quickly; or at the very least you may not get consistent results over a period of time once the chemicals are mixed. Also having the ability to vary the number of drops of metal on a per print basis will give you a creative option in your printing and allow you to fine tune your results which will be partially paper dependent (even though theoretically working with a digital negative would provide you with a consistent repeatable workflow.)

You may wish to try the method for making Satisa+ prints as described at Bostick and Sullivan in an article by Dick Sullivan.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/Satista+/satista.htm

FWIW, kallitypes are easier to make (IMO), look better (IMO), and can be indistinguishable from a palladium print.

I never felt that the Satistypes matched the lushness one might seek in a palladium print, however it is a fun process to try.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

P.S. I haven't tried Marek's method but I think his method will work better than mixing the AFO and metal. Also when you wet develop with glycerine as mentioned in the B&S article you don't have to tape the paper to the surface you are developing on, just pour a few drops of virgin glycerine on the developing surface and then lay the paper down. The thought just occured to me that you may be able to brush develop with Marek's method also.