Ferric Ammonium Oxalate + Potassium Chloroplatinite Solution Shelf Life

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 06/16/04-02:38:41 PM Z

Hi Rajul,

--- Rajul Iyer <eyeear@direct.ca> wrote:
> Loris,
>
> Could you explain why you would use the
> chloroplatinate instead of the
> chloroplatinite for doing Satista prints? In my

Oops! Sorry, that was a typo. What I have is
"Potassium Chloroplatinite Sol. No. 3".

> recent experiments with
> Satista, Ifound that whereas chloroplatinite (one
> drop of a 5% solution)
> worked fine with about 25-30 drops of ~25% FAO for
> an ~8x10" print, finding

This exacly the same dilution as Marek says "it works
- but giving much browner prints" in his
alternativeprocesses.com article.

> a way to enhance the contrast would would be a
> worthwhile handle to have.

So you're saying the prints were low contrast? Could
it be that your negative density was not adequate?
Actually I plan to design a curve from scratch (I use
digital negatives) for "my working parameters" and to
never change these parameters - which are: the formula
of the sensitizer and gold toning time (if I decide to
do it - using one shot fresh toner).

> Also, using vellum instead of pictorico OHP
> transparencies as digineg medium
> can effectively reduce contrast when required.

Well I certainly would like to do it if I could find
it in Istanbul. I yet have to meet one person who
knows what "vellum" is? When I ask about it all I got
is empty looks. Can you suggest where I can find
vellum (maybe there are businesses which exclusively
use vellum papers, maybe they just don't call it
"vellum" here). To what vellum resemble?

Using vellum as negative sounds nice. I guess vellum
paper is much chaper compared to Pictorico or other
inkjet transparency media. Also maybe the paper will
have more dot gain than inkjet transparency - that
would be nice because: I have problems with pizza
wheels making marks on my negatives and when one
inspect the prints with a loupe they reveal their
"inkjet made" character. A little bit more dot gain
can cure these negative elements in my printing.

... long pause ... OK I have made some research: there
are vellum papers (it's for plotters I presume) by HP
and EPSON. Will these work with alt. processes? I
often see "non solvent" remarks about these papers -
do vellum papers from HP or Epson incorporate
chemicals and/or fillers/coatings and/or whatnot which
can prevent successful alt. process prints?

Do you have any scans of your Satista prints/trials
online?

To all: I repeat my question - Do you think the
Satista sensitizer will keep well? I plan to mix
around 100 - 200ml because I don't want to fiddle with
drops before every coating session.

Another question is: I plan to sensitize in batches -
30 40 papers at a time. What do you suggest for
keeping the paper? Can I keep these in a box face to
back without separator material?

Regards,
Loris.