Re: Ferric Ammonium Oxalate + Potassium Chloroplatinite Solution Shelf Life

From: Rajul Iyer ^lt;eyeear@direct.ca>
Date: 06/16/04-04:34:11 PM Z

Hi Loris,

It was Marek who put me on to the emulsion mix for Satista and I found it
worked just fine.

I experimented with a contrasty image, making vellum (sheer heaven vellum
purchased from some firm in Santa Fe) and pictorico negs for comparison. I
printed them as Satistas and the usual Platinum print on pre-shrunk
Stonehenge paper. Whereas the Pict negs produced contrasty Satista and
Platinum prints in which the hilights were blown, both types of print made
with vellum negs were softer and the hilights had printed well. I then
proceeded to do gum over Satistas and Pt prints and found that the contrast
problems could not be alleviated.

So if there is a contrast-enhancing agent like sod. chloroplatinate or
whatever, it would be good to see if it would enhance the contrast of
Satista or Pt prints made with vellum negs.

Vellum comes in many varieties and weights. It is translucent and thicker
than tracing paper. The sheer heaven that I chose was because it does not
crinkle in wet procedures. Yet printing pigment-over-platinum images on it
did not hold much promise. As a negative medium it is seems to work and if
contrast can be adjusted at the Satista or Pt print stage, it would be a
cheaper alternative to Pictorico.

I have no information on the vellums that HP and Epson market.

I do not have scans of the above experiments on line but I can send them off
list to you if you wish.

Rajul