Re: Foxlee Gum Process

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 06/24/04-06:49:22 PM Z

     Hi all,
     After I have waded thru 20 messages on Foxlee, I don't know who is
saying what so forgive me if I have it mixed up, but here is my guess:
     Foxlee was doing a variation of the Mariotype originally, that he says.
However, his was different in two ways: for one, he found there was no need
to keep bichromate in either the exposed first layer (which he developed
before pigmenting and thus most of the bichromate was washed out) or the
pigmented layer (he said keeping bichromate in either presented some
"uncertainty"). For two, he was able to use different colloids (gelatin and
gum, or starch and gum) in his two layers and get it to work. That is his
claim to "originality".
This is what I found so weird--that there would be hardening without
bichromate, as if what little bichromate left in the developed image could
possibly infer hardening powers on the pigment layer. Negative is used, btw,
not positive. There has to be hardening of some sort, or a one hour water
development, and the ability to use a brush, would certainly wash away an
unhardened gum or starch layer completely.
     BUT, with what Dave is saying, if I read it correctly, AND with the
fact that acids will insolubilize gum without exposure, I think what is
happening is that with pressure the layer of pigment is adhering to the
image gum left on the paper as per Dave's suggestion (glycerined pigment
adhering to the hardened gum layer where water does not soak in, but not
adhering to where the paper will swell with water, correct Dave?) but the
hardening that occurs to the layer is probably due to acid, not transferred
bichromate (which is why 36 hours was necessary; if it was developed right
away, the gum might swoosh off).
     To test this, I would suppose adding glacial acetic to gum for 36 hours
in a cup might be instructive.
     The fact that Foxlee and others practiced his process, as did Marion
practice his, means that something was going on, but that the "something"
they thought was going on, wasn't, is very likely.
     I'm really only interested in it because it seems like so much work
when they could be just doing a gum print the easy way. I think wanting
acclaim for new inventions was uppermost in their minds.
Chris