Re: Charcoal Prints? Thanks to your spouse.

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/07/04-11:38:59 AM Z

Jim,

I didn't realize that you were talking about contemporary prints.

Barium of course refers to baryta, or barium sulfate, it was used to make
extremely smooth white coating as an underlayment to the gelatin sizing or
coating. As for silver that is a mystery as silver toned carbon prints are
usually quite brown.

Back in the 70's when I was the Director of the CameraVision Gallery we
showed some dusting on prints that were very charcoal-like and lovely. The
person who made them was very secretive about the process but I recall
making a comment that they looked like dusting on prints and the person
admitted that is what they were. I cannot recall any names 30 years later.
I used to have senior moments but they are turning into weeks and months now.

I think the dusting on process is one of the under appreciated processes of
modern alt printing.

There were many folks in the past who came up with a direct carbon process
that claimed it was the same as the Fresson process. Somehow some folks
feel that attaching the name Fresson adds some value to what they are doing.

--Dick

--Dick