Re: Charcoal Prints?Thanks to your spouse.

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/07/04-10:25:38 AM Z

In a message dated 07/03/04 14:29:12 GMT Standard Time, jstrain@iquest.net
writes:

> It is the John Stewart charcoals that intrigued my spouse (and, therefore,
me)
> . Jim
Jim, Apologies for my mis spelling Stewart as Stuart, but it is some time
since I last saw his name in print. There is a little catalog of his work which
was issued with an exhibition in London in 1989, '' 24 Still Lifes''. John
Stewart was born in London in 1919 and has been showing in galleries in major
cities around the world since 1976. Would you care to say what characteristics of
the ''charcoal'' prints intrigued your spouse and you? Was it the subject
matter containing all the deep black shadow detail? The texture of the support
paper ? They often used Ingres type paper with striations. I often use this
paper, myself, to try to emulate, I must admit, the appearance of the Fresson
prints which is so distictive. Jose Ortiz Echague used it, too, but I have also
tried many types of paper texture for coating on the emulsions .
       The subject of Fresson and Direct Carbon have often been talked about
on this list and the distinction has not always been made clear between Direct
Carbon and Carbon Transfer. Direct Carbon is much easier to deal with since
only one process of development after UV exposure is needed and in the case of
my own I.C.I system the sawdust abrasion stage has been dispensed with and
replaced by a soak in a bath of weak sodium hypochlorite (household bleach)
when the print is afterwards subjected to a fine water spray to remove surplus
pigment to the requirements of the worker to give variations of density,
contrast and, possibly, detail.
               Whether this process could be called ''automatic" as in silver
gelatine development or if it is basically a ''control'' system is a matter
of endless discussion and depends, finally, on how the individual worker wishes
to use it.
                I hope,shortly, to be finalizing a positive way of making
this I.C.I. paper, which may, as near as damn it, be able to guarantee
predictable results. Otherwise, without this dissemination, this Direct Carbon process
will continue to remain in the shadows, appearing only now and again ( and
very preciously) when a show of work by Echague or Stewart or a few others comes
to light.
                              Regards to your wife.
                              Bon Chance John- Photographist