Re: Alternative Processes and Concept and Temporality and Therapy

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/10/04-04:32:47 AM Z

In a message dated 09/03/04 18:03:54 GMT Standard Time, sbell1@artic.edu
writes:

> i'm also interested to hear concepts behind your work. and what you feel
your

> chosen processes do for it beyond aesthetics. and what you take pictures
of
> and
> why.
Hi Steve, The other day I came across what I, later, reflected was one of
those stupidly profound statements about `art`, ``Art can be the therapy of the
poor and the currency of the rich``. This, of course, could be shot to pieces
by intellectual reasoning by those who may not feel comfortable or happy
fitting into this scenario. I have always felt that my interests in photography
were a very successful therapy for me and I was never particularly poor. Even
as a very young child I was often drawing/painting and using modeling clay to
make tangible things as I felt I wanted to present and contribute something
recognizable to my family and friends which may be valued in some way by them.
Later on when I learned to approach more technically complex areas of art my
photographic processing served as an excercise for my analytical mind. When
focusing attention on a photo problem I am obliged to clear my mind of all the
small and large and imagined problems of my life to be able to achieve practical
solutions.This was my therapy.
                   With industry having solved many of the questions arising
it became less easy to get satisfaction from silver gelatine photography.
Several times over the years ( five) I attempted to give up my photo involvement
as it was not producing anything new for me. I was so pleased when, about
fifteen years ago I was introduced by a good friend to the work of Jose Ortiz
Echague and his use of the mysterious Direct Carbon system seemingly monopolized
by the Fresson family.............but this is the subject of another
persistent thread which continues to appear from time to time on this list as you may
have noticed.
        Since I recently reached the age of retirement from imposed
employment it has become even more important for me to have challenges which might
bring some personal "wins." Many of these challenges come just outside of any
specific photographic considerations.........such as, how to market, promote and
sell a product in which you have absolute faith. And then, again, it may be
more theraputic for the community to be given the problems of how to make these
Direct Carbon prints the solving of which has given me so much pleasure in
discovering for myself.

                   Long live alt photo. Regards John - Photographist
P.S. It is not so easy for some people to verbalize on the issues which you
have brought up but you seem to be getting there, OK.