Re: Alternative Processes and Concept and Temporality and...

From: Steve Bell ^lt;sbell1@artic.edu>
Date: 03/11/04-11:34:24 AM Z

Hey Jack,

thanks for getting back. i have a question for you on this: regarding the
viewer, you discussed when a viewer sees a print from "bare paper," they have a
certain response. what though, do you think the viewer is responding to? if
they don't have the information necessary to know that hours and hours were put
into a print? do you think it's an innate response? instinctual? that they can
feel that this piece involved a great deal of craft and effort?

i think a lot of people may look at a title of a piece and see that it says
"archival digital print" or "silver gelatin print" or "c-print" or "pt/pd
print" what if the viewer doesn't really know the difference? do you think
there is some kind of mystical quality?

i'll check out that book. definitely looks like a good read. can you tell me
more about these other cultures and their feelings about work? or point me to
some reading?

thanks,

steve