Re: silly paper wetting question, etc.

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 03/21/04-09:45:41 PM Z

Clay,
    Now, I KNOW Mark Nelson must be busy doing something VERY important
because I can't BELIEVE he didn't call you on the carpet about your
"sinkers" and "floaters" terminology...

     Thanks all of you for the paper answers.

     Man, I cannot believe the aquarelle. I will not use it again,
actually. Not only was it a "sinker", but it had spots in it of clear, and
it stayed wet for hours! I sized aquarelle, uno, artistico, classico, hot
press and cold press, magnani, and sized some with glutaraldehyde and then
some with glyoxal. Later with my results on glut and gly (sounds like
aerobics), but with just the sizing experience side by side, I am sticking
with Fabriano. I know Sam uses Fabriano Artistico cold press, and I have to
even say that I may end up agreeing with him; the texture is not obtrusive
as it can be with some cold pressed papers. I just decided to use up my
stack of miscellaneous papers before buying a new batch, so that is why the
melange of paper types...

     One last thing; I poured out some leftover sizing in a cup and set it
outside to gel... I noticed that gelatin en masse is yellowish, mixed with
glyoxal. Tom thought I had peed in a cup and left it outside (the nerve).
I really don't know why I share these inane stories with the list, but
suffice it to say that my glyoxal didn't turn the gelatin yellow, it is
yellow to begin with. The bottle is about 6 years old so maybe fresh
glyoxal is not so yellow, but it still works fine, just the same. I'm
wondering if the glyoxal yellowing problem is just the color of glyoxal
itself. Those of you with a fresh bottle, peep inside and tell me if it is
yellow or not? The glut is white.
Chris