Re: Carbon Printing and Ultravoilet Light

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/24/04-03:14:31 AM Z

> > Nowadays, the carbon tissue is not available and must be hand made.
> > In a book I have, 'Alternative Photographic Processes' by Jan Arnow, she
> > describes the method of the process and how to make the tissue.

You've got to take this book (and its ilk) with some skepticism... for
instance Arnow has a chapter titled "Fresson," in which she simply equates
Fresson with direct carbon, without using the term "direct carbon." Then
she gives a "formula" for "Fresson" using gelatine, sugar syrup, sugar,
honey, pigment, etc., in one coat. There are no footnotes for the info,
but the text mentions that her directions are "derived from the notes of
distinguished 20th century photographer and teacher Paul Anderson."

Speak of the devil ! In fact, I've just done some tests which I am about
to scan proving that his Great Gum Pigment Ratio Test of universal acclaim
is as wrong as I said it was 298 times. Yeah and it took me about 45
minutes of desperately hard labor to show what as far as I know none of
the acclaimed authors (hi Pete ! wanna forward this to your good friend?)
of the latter half of the 20th century could manage...

Anyway, Arnow treats Anderson badly, IMO. She copies his phrase about
Fresson being "to all intents and purposes the Artigue process" but
Anderson went on to say you need "Fresson paper," and does not give a
formula for making your own. Arnow got the sugar and honey mix from
somewhere unmentioned, and if you didn't check the Anderson book you'd
blame it on him.

Of course that sugar and honey may make a delicious print, but to call it
"Fresson" is bad. Meanwhile, if you want to make carbon tissue there are
more reliable sources -- eg, Sandy King has a book.

Judy