Re: Reversal processing for enlarged negatives

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/25/04-12:43:52 AM Z

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
> Ammonium thiosulfate in KRST is there to make selenium toning reaction
> rapid. As you say, the concentration is too small to compete with the
> rate of toning reaction.

This, if I'm following correctly, is contrary to my experience. 20 years
ago, when I was toning silver gelatin, I tried every bleach and
redeveloper i could mix. A bleached back-print simply vanished when bathed
in KRST, about 1:14 maybe. Sometime later I learned about "fixer" in the
toner, and assumed that was the reason... A few years later a thread ran
on the list about that, as I recall someone else had a similar experience.

Has anyone actually "toned" a bleached print in KRST?.

T-55 is something else... from memory :selenium and sodium sulfide boiled
together & mixed with -- whatever it was (sodium sulfite, or maybe
potassium bromide). No fixer. A very nice toner, gorgeous purplish blacks
on my old Brovira, but a pain to mix, went off quickly -- and of course
selenium got hard to get. I had/have a bunch of it, but it was claimed to
be poison... And for a while at least as expensive as gold.

Judy