Re: Glutaraldehyde: a cautionary note

From: David Jackson ^lt;lagniap@tulane.edu>
Date: 03/31/04-11:42:02 AM Z

I have not been following this thread, so this comment may be redundant or
even misguided.

I worked for years with a medical services company which, among other
things, performed legally mandated air-quality testing in hospitals (which
frequently use Glutaraldehyde although there has been movement away from it
because of what I am about to tell you.)

In work areas where Glutaraldehyde was used ventilation had to be
sufficient such that air quality samples were less than 5ppm (parts per
million). In concentrations greater than that, if the ventilation could not
be improved sufficiently, all personnel entering the area were required to
wear a full-face respirator masks fitted with appropriate filters.

These guidelines come from JCAHO and OSHA so take it for what it's worth. YMMV.

Best,
David

David Jackson
Project Assistant