Re: gelatin hardening (was Re: Glutaraldehyde: a different kind of cautionary tale)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/06/04-11:08:33 AM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> Hardening is a way to influence the mechanical properties of gelatin
> in gel state. This is most commonly measured as amount of swelling of
> gel at a certain standard condition. Melting point also changes, but
> it is less readily measurable quantity.

This would not be a useful way to measure hardening in gum; the question
I think (or the question in my mind, at any rate) was whether there is a
way to judge hardening of colloids that works for all colloids that are
used in photographic processes. If not, then there's another argument
for not insisting on a theory of "dichromated colloids" that is supposed
to apply to all of them across the board.
kt