Re: Tanning theory of dichromated colloids (was gelatin

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/07/04-04:13:27 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> > Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
> > >

> > > Take that idea for a moment and comment on how similar gelatin and
> > > leather are, and why discussion on one is useful for the other, and to
> > > what extent. (in 250 words)
> > >

> > Not very much. At all. Not very useful. At all.

I answered this question cryptically, assuming that you know very well
yourself the similarities and differences between gelatin and collagen.
But on further reflection (I'm mopping floors so have lots of free
mental space to reflect with) it occurs to me that by evoking the
hardening of gelatin with chrome alum to explain the chemistry of gum,
you are in effect buying into the "tanning" theory of dichromated
colloids, whether you realize it or not.
kt