Duratrans - was: Re: Pictorico Large format Discontinued

From: Jon Lybrook ^lt;jon@terabear.com>
Date: 05/07/04-11:28:24 AM Z

Hi Marek,

Read my statement again. 'colored pigmented' is the key. Colored inks don't
block light the same way black does. With poly plates, when I printed a 'black
and white' transparency using *colored* inks, the inkjet printer uses a
combination of colors to create grey, which works fine for reflected light, but
transmitted UV light, which is what I use to expose the plates, behaves very
differently. When I print the same transparency using black only, greys are
generated by changing the size and distribution of a pure black dot, not by
mixing colors. The latter is far less predictable and yields a much different
distribution of density than what the transparency looks like to the naked eye.

Duratrans, being film-based color, as Craig mentioned, may behave differently,
so I'm going to give it a try. A service bureau in Denver has offered me a
half-price deal to run some tests.

Jon