Re: New Cyanotype

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 05/19/04-01:27:44 AM Z

Judy, happy for you but ... blue water is a standard issue for me (I double
coat). That's why I'm overexposing my cyanotypes incredibly - I never
understood the "expose for highlights becoming one - one and a half stop
darker than what you want in the final print" suggestion... If I do it that
way, I get empty highlights, highlight-like midtones and weak shadows. But
if I expose the print until the shadows are completely reversed, midtones
reversed but less than shadows and highlights blue (zone IV I'd say) then I
get the print I want (after the print turning the first development tray
dark green/prussian blue - 2 mins - and the second one very weak cyan/aqua -
2 mins - and clear in the third one - again 2 mins). The only case I hadn't
blue water was when I was adding gum arabic (4 drops to 20ml sensitizer) and
10% potassium dichromate (2 - 3 drops to 20ml sensitizer) to the emulsion.
In that case the shadows would look almost whitish in development and won't
dissolve in the development water (in my case, it's mainly the dissolving of
shadows that makes the water prussian blue) and sometimes it would convert
to deep blue in peroxide bath only, not before. And yes, my paper's not very
absorbent - I had best results adding 2 - 3 drops of ILFOTOL to 20ml
sensitizer (that's a wetting agent similar to Photo-Flo) - but I don't see
any puddling when I coat; the paper gets matte in one to two mins. BTW, I
use 0.1% citric acid as developer (1gr to 1lt) in order to compensate -
maybe - alkaline wash water (not scientific, I didn't even try to measure
the PH of our tap water - what I know is it stinks chlorine!).

Regards,
Loris.