Re: Building PS curves for alternative processes with the Inkjet Companion

From: Mike Klemmer ^lt;mklemmer@comcast.net>
Date: 05/29/04-10:51:59 AM Z

When I build my curves I only look at how the curve output values affect the
density readings of the final print.

For example - building a kallitype curve you may want to begin with a few
test curves like this:

Curve a:
Input Output
0 0
5 1
10 2
20 4
30 7
40 10
50 14
60 20
70 30
80 40
90 70
95 85
100 100

Curve b:
Input Output
0 0
5 2
10 3
20 5
30 8
40 11
50 16
60 23
70 34
80 50
90 75
95 91
100 100

Curve c:
Input Output
0 0
5 3
10 6
20 8
30 9
40 12
50 15
60 18
70 26
80 38
90 80
95 95
100 100

What's important here is that you have a good sampling across the range of
all the output values. The output values from 1 - 12 are especially
critical for nailing down the correct highlight values on your kallitypes.
Now print out your curves onto step tabs and make a fully toned print and
then measure the density of each block. Assemble the results by mixing and
matching the input/output values and then assemble about three more 'rough'
final curves and test them to come up with a 'final' curve. For example,
you may have found from your test curve that the 10%/2% input/output data
point made a 5% grey density reading on the print. So your final curve will
be 5%/2% input/output.

It's also important to remember that with alt-photo the curve is but one
variable in the whole operation. Things such as the sensitizer ratio and
coating thickness, paper variances, your exposure process, etc. all have a
potent effect on the outcome. Don't get too wrapped up in trying to get a
'perfect' curve unless you have a rigid control on all of the other
variables in the process first.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Michael Klemmer