Re: modifying scanner

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 11/18/04-09:59:58 PM Z

I crashed and burned on this project :-(

I have both VueScan and the original Umax Photoshop plugin driver that
run my Umax scanner in OS9. Neither would recognize the scanner with
the Adaptec XChange scsi to usb adapter. According to the Adaptec
manual I should have seen the scanner with a SCSI probe, not seen. I
only have Vuescan for OSX, as Judy guessed Umax never made an OSX
driver for this scanner. Again, the scanner with the adapter wasn't
"scene". Apple System profiler knew "something" was there, the scanner
showed up as "unidentified". I tried all configurations plugged
directly into the back of the computer (powered) USB port. In order to
work with my new laptop it will have to run native in OSX (newer Mac's
can use classic, but not "boot" into OS9).

Total bummer!

Judy (or anyone else here doing this), what brand and model of SCSI to
USB converter are you using successfully on a Mac? Are you using it in
9 or X.

On Thursday, November 18, 2004, at 02:09 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>
>> I'm doing some checking into this. My current scanner is an older
>> Umax Powerlook III. A shocking $1200US at the time I bought it! Very
>> nice scanner, does everything I need (including large film) and has a
>> good density range. It is SCSI. I'm about to replace the last (old)
>> Mac laptop I have that still runs SCSI :-(
>>
>> I'm trying a SCSI to USB adapter today, but I question if that will
>> work.
>
> Tom, I have several devices on a scuzzi to USB adapter and they do
> work, tho my old (it isn't really old, just old for nowadays) UMAX
> Powerlook 2100 XL is on the only (or one of only) SCSI ports in the
> G4. However, if your UMax is older than mine, which it might be --
> check that you can get the new driver for system X before buying the
> adapter. I think, for instance, there is none for the XL.
>
> Judy

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com