planned obsolescence rules

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/19/04-11:46:21 PM Z

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> ... In order to work with my new laptop it will have to run native in
OSX
> (newer Mac's can use classic, but not "boot" into OS9).

Apple did a really slick job on this -- getting some of us to buy G4 by
claiming it could run 9 & 10 -- I think VERY few folks managed to make
those two systems function on one computer. I certainly didn't. And then
of course they abandoned 9 immediately... going into 10 full bore,
whereupon all software/hardware companies stopped supporting 9. I've
mentioned that I'm trying not to have to replace nearly ten thousand
dollars worth of peripherals and software with programs and devices I
don't like as well, but it keeps getting iffier.

Meanwhile, I have a hub plugged into what (as I recall) is the G4's one
scuzzy port, with 5 slots (Belkin). And the card was Adaptec -- which kept
crashing every time I put the computer on sleep, tho at the time I didn't
know that was the problem. NONE of the 3 tech supports I kept calling
(Adaptec, Apple, and Adobe) had a clue.

Finally, Apple said it was the logic board and I schlepped the whole 800
pound gorilla up to Tech Serv. After I waited around nearly a day (that is
a booming business), Tech Serv said all I needed was an update on the
scuzzy card-- the version I had didn't support Sleep !

That little caper of course cost me $100 -- not counting the cab ride to
and from 23rd Street. Yes, the computer and the card were still on
warranty -- but that was only for REPAIRS. There were no repairs, simply
installing an upgrade.

It seems the card sits on the shelf in the store while programs march
on... So it occurs to me it's possible there's an upgrade to the card
you've got that would work -- if it's supposed to. But DO NOT RELY ON
ADAPTEC TO KNOW OR CARE ABOUT ANY OF THAT .. They don't & they won't.

And yes I'm using 9.2...and yes, it's heinous... But probably the lesser
evil for now.

Judy