Analog Color Separations - Help!

From: Sean ^lt;sean@lostprocess.com>
Date: 11/22/04-03:43:45 PM Z

Hi,

I am really in need of some sage advice/guidance. A client that I have been
doing gravure film work for has approached me to do some color separations
for multi-plate gravure work. While I have finally gotten my film work to a
point where I can produce repeatable, quality films (thanks to this list,
and my anally methodic approach to the analog world), I have no clue how one
creates color separations.

Any guidance to a document, book or web tutorial would be most appreciated.
I have color equipment (for variable contrast), but I have not taken a color
photograph in a least ten years (as long as you don't count that digital
pregnant pause, I mean camera that Canon calls a G5) and have no idea where
to start.

I am not even sure where to start. I know I need to create four positives,
Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black, but how does one create them. Sorry for
being so daft, but I really enjoy the film work (a process guy, and very
analog) and could sure use the work.

Thanks for any guidance.

Regards,

Sean Farren