Re: recipe for fine-line developer?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 10/05/04-03:34:10 PM Z

From: "Eric S. Theise" <mataro@cyberwerks.com>
Subject: Re: recipe for fine-line developer?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:07:35 -0700 (PDT)

> I'll repost his question:

Ok, what you quoted makes sense, and my previous post was not too far
from that line of thinking. The original questioner needs something
very high contrast and very high density with very hard dot quality,
and without distorting the dimensions too much. I don't know if one
can get better than recent hybrid systems, but lith developers with
a *minimum* lith effect seems to be one direction that's worth
trying. I'd start with Kodalith D-85 type formula, and increase
sulfite and bromide a bit, and also increase the pH to 11-12 range
using phosphate or other suitable buffer.

The film/developers of later generations use contrast enhancing
agent(s) such as hydrazine compounds. These contrast enhancing agents
are added to developers, film emulsion or both, depending on the
particular agent, product, etc., but I didn't follow this type of
products far enough. If you have energy and enthusiasm, journal
papers and patents give you a good starting point.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.