Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/06/04-06:18:01 PM Z

Alberto Novo wrote:

> Katharine Thayer wrotee:
>
> > Giovanni Di Mase wrote:
> >
> >> But I was told that the sulfite does not create the solution acid and
> >> therefore the cromium component becomes insoluble cromium.
> >

> > That's an interesting assertion, can you give a source for it?
>
> It is basic chemistry, look at
> http://www.wm-blythe.co.uk/WMBLYTHE/CSDS.nsf/0/1904cee36e83c294802566de004ed
> 7e2?OpenDocument (all in one line)

Well, I looked that site over from top to bottom and I don't see
anything there that relates to Giovanni's statement. You guys are going
to have to make up your collective mind: is it true that sulfite and
bisulfite and metabisulfite perform interchangeably with regard to
clearing, or not? Martin says it's true; Alberto seems to be saying no,
sulfite doesn't work the same because it makes the chromium insoluble. I
don't care which way it is, but I don't think it can be both, and if
it's basic chemistry, why not just spell it out simply, explain how it
works differently for sulfite vs bisulfite and metabisulfite.
Katharine Thayer