Re: Research Question - Darkrooms closed?

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 10/10/04-03:45:34 PM Z

Having read some of the responses to this issue, my comments tend to
reenforce what's happening.

For press photography, the electronic photography beats wet photography
hands down. In the context of a college education for job, computer aided
photography is a must.

In the context of a University education, education for better life, the
need to understand photographic process mandates the understanding with wet
darkroom processes. It starts with a negative. Moving into computer aided
photography, I would bet, becomes much easier as a better understood medium
after some form of wet darkroom training. This would become a good research
project.

As for the word 'historical' or 'historic' processes. I would go with
Historic Processes, Proven Methods in the Photographic Arts.

Note: It is my understanding that Alt. or Alternative processes came out of
the phrase 'An altervative process to commercially prepared materials.'

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA