Re: Everclear

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/15/04-09:26:19 PM Z

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I am going to wager a bet that the yellowing has to do with alkalinity,
> either of the paper or the water supply. This whole batch I did with
> distilled water, and if after 3 months my sample papers don't turn
> dramatically yellow, I could retest with tap water.

We seem to have enough different experiences with yellowing/non-yellowing
to suggest that more than one factor, probably even a combination of
factors, are operative. But I have an idea that my own experience with
the yellowing was on paper that was not rinsed after the glyoxal bath. At
a certain point I began giving a longer bath (3 minutes) and rinsing
afterwards and I think none of those sheets has yellowed...

(I note here what I found in a series of tests a couple of years ago -- a
glyoxal soak of less than 3 minutes didn't properly harden if it was
rinsed before drying. But a bath of 3 to 5 minutes could be rinsed without
compromising the hardening. I suppose therefore that the glyoxal solution
continued to harden the gelatin while it dried on the paper.)

Judy

I suppose I could also