Re: Everclear

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 10/15/04-06:40:18 AM Z

Good morning, Judy et al,

This time testing with glyoxal, I did the separate glyoxal bath instead of
adding it to the gelatin, because if adding it to the gelatin was a
contributing factor to yellowing, I could eliminate that.

I do have a ph meter if I can figure out how to use it :). But I used
distilled water for this whole batch, too.

The thing that I find interesting about glyoxal is that the paper surface
feels...gritty and crystally, instead of smooth like the glut hardened
paper.

I am going to wager a bet that the yellowing has to do with alkalinity,
either of the paper or the water supply. This whole batch I did with
distilled water, and if after 3 months my sample papers don't turn
dramatically yellow, I could retest with tap water. I suppose I could also
test that by adding sodium carbonate to a batch and seeing if the yellowing
increases dramatically. The paper that I had over the summer that did not
yellow was Lenox, and the other one was Fabriano, which I know is alkaline
because Ware's cyano turns lavender on it.
Chris