Re: Gum analysis

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/16/04-03:09:11 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Robert Schaller wrote: (September 6, 2004)

 I am curious about how the investigation will proceed. What
> > tests exactly is the chemist planning to do? I get the impression that just
> > hardened gum (or PVA) will be tested first; what next? As I said, I am very
> > curious.

Robert,
I just realized I didn't actually answer your question after all that.
You wanted to know everything the chemist will do, but all I can tell
you and all I've told you is the step he's working on right now. He's
described to me a sort of vague flow chart for different ways the
research could go, depending on outcomes along the way, but I didn't
keep all that in my head, because it's not something I really need to
worry about, and besides there's no point in memorizing the analyses
that won't be done because the outcomes take us a different way. There
will probably be some spectral analyses involved at some point, if we
get that far, but as I say, it all went kind of in one ear and out the
other.

I might also say that while it's a physical chemist I'm working with
primarily, there is an inorganic chemist and an organic chemist who are
involved as consultants and an analytical chemist who has offered
suggestions and will be handling some of the direct analyses.
kt