RE: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 10/19/04-09:25:08 PM Z

Chris,

Without getting into the details of Marek's workflow I would like to point
out this observation about black ink in regard to roller tracking and the
PDN Printer Evaluation Palette.

> Then, I went back and did everything Marek said, above, again with his
> pt/pd
> curve, except I chose "black ink only", and presto, no smear. Thus, there
> is something in the color part of the equation in combination with density
> that screws things up.

When the PEP is printed, a step wedge of all the additive (R,G,B) colors and
all of the subtractive colors (C,M,Y) and black is printed. All step wedges
including black showed tracking marks. At the thinner or lower density steps
the tracking marks became much less apparent yet they were there.
Specifically steps 1 to 9 exhibits only a faint mark from the ejection
wheels. I'm not sure why but the green step wedge seemed to be the least
affected.

So I would guess with certain media settings and thinner negatives BO
printing would work with Ultrafine CF. However, in the context of the PDN
system this may not lead to the most effective negative for certain
processes as you have pointed out.

> OH, I did not try the 2880 speed. Marek, "waiting a couple hours
> for
> the neg to dry" is hardly something my workflow allows; I'm way too hasty.

I only printed used 1440 DPI, in my case I don't have a problem waiting 24
hours for the negative to cure. If I can just lift the wheels off the
substrate this problem may be solved.

> Interestingly, Marek's curve produces a bluish, flatter/thinner looking
> negative than black ink only, which is plenty dense. In other words, my
> gum
> negs are **not** thin. But I'm sure what this boils down to is Mark
> Nelson's
> indication that different ink colors have different UV blocking
> capabilities
> and hence the "apparent" density of the neg doesn't tell the whole story,
> right Mark? In other words, Marek's apparent thin/flat neg for pt/pd
> isn't
> so.

I would say that this is correct.

> Sandy and Don, is it possible you could both print a side by side black
> ink
> only neg with a colored ink only neg and see what kind of print both
> produce
> in pt/pd or kallitype? That would be really interesting, and it'll be a
> cold day in hell before I get to pt/pd print anytime soon.

I can but it may be a couple of weeks before I have time to run that test.
I'll let you know what I come up with.

Don