Re: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/20/04-09:29:41 PM Z

> Mark Nelson said:
> Regarding waiting for negatives to dry. On Pictorico OHP film usng the
> Epson Ultrachrome inkset (and I am sure this is also true of other inks and
> substrates), You can take UV readings of the negative with a UV
> densitometer after
> it comes out of the printer and watch the UV density drop over a period of
> timeā€”up to a couple of hours or more. It's not just an issue of whether
> inks
> will smear if you use the negative right away. It is extremely important that
> negatives be "cured" after printing so that the UF densities of the inks
> stabilize. Otherwise you are not going to get consistent results when
> printing.

Mark, for how long a period did you test exposure time?

I realize these are two different things, but still the thought comes to
mind -- I found that oiled paper negatives dried for about a month. I
don't remember the exact schedule, but something like that -- and when
they did stabilize they were much less translucent than they'd been at
first, in fact, if memory serves, not that much better than unoiled paper.

Is it possible the inks behave something like the oils? Are those
negatives good indefinitely once they're "stabilized"?

Judy