Re: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/21/04-10:41:14 PM Z

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> With your oiled negatives, is it possible the oil oxidizes or turns rancid
> and cloudy? It wouldn't surprise me that oil would take a lot longer than the
> inks to dry.

There is this myth that the oil turns rancid, tho I never found it to
happen. I even came across the claim in a magazine of the '30s -- which
isn't to say it can't happen, but none of the oils I tested said
refrigerate after opening -- and as I say it didn't happen.

I imagine that it was oxidizing, and when it fully oxidized the density
was close to the original unoiled densitiy. As for "cloudy" -- the
original unoiled paper was cloudy, but when the oil dried it wasn't any
cloudier, or not that I detected. But then I wasn't looking for that. All
I was looking at was the fact that an oiled paper negative wasn't stable.
A beeswaxed negative was stable.

J.

  I do know that many custom printers (giclee printers if you are