Rancid oil (Re: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/22/04-12:19:32 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 Ender100@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > With your oiled negatives, is it possible the oil oxidizes or turns rancid
> > and cloudy?
>
> There is this myth that the oil turns rancid, tho I never found it to
> happen.

My experience with rancidity is that it depends on the oil. The first
oil I used, a generic vegetable oil from the grocery store, turned
rancid, and no myth about it. I don't remember whether it was days or
weeks, but within a short time the negatives developed a distinct
rancid odor, which was pronounced enough to knock one backwards a bit
when opening the file box containing these negatives. This odor lingered
for a couple of years and then faded, but at the same time the odor
faded, the paper turned brown rendering the negatives useless as
negatives; a short time after beginning to turn brown they became
brittle and would fall to bits at a touch.

At the first hint of rancidity, I cast about for a better oil and
settled on mineral oil; I have mineral-oiled negatives that are a
decade or more old and as fresh today as when they were new.

Katharine