Re: Rancid oil (Re: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 10/22/04-08:07:13 AM Z

This is sooo very OT, but one time I made a really great ratatouille, and I
ran out of olive oil so I went across the street and borrowed some of my
mother in law's (who never cooks). Whoaaaa, mama. Apparently the olive oil
was years old, because the ratatouille was inedible due to the rancidity of
the olive oil. I can't believe I didn't taste it while cooking or trust my
nose, before I ate it. I had never experienced rancid oil before that
moment. And yes, it was the oil and not my cooking, because I then tasted
the olive oil from the bottle and I about barfed.

Now her daughter goes through her cupboard and writes dates on items that
have no expiry date, or just throws the stuff out if no date is visible and
there is any question. You know things are bad when the Campbell's soup
label is from back in Andy Warhol days...but I exaggerate.

I know in the printmaking lab they use baby oil (which I think is just
mineral oil with baby butt smell added) to oil paper negs. The exposure
times with these in relation to transparencies is 6 1/2 mn vs 4 mn 15 secs
approximately, on silkscreen (is this diazo?), so only a 50% increase in
time. After a while my prof said they lose their transparency, so one needs
to reoil. Apparently, from below, Katharine, you never reoil, so it is
another myth?

Paraffin and beeswax should not go rancid. I used to use those for bw print
paper negs. But this requires an iron.
Chris