Re: Rancid oil (Re: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/23/04-03:21:31 AM Z

The below certainly is consistent with my experience re paraffin, I've
never found it a satisfactory material for rendering paper negatives
transparent.

But about the oiling, I'd have to say that good oiling technique is the
key to success. I learned how to oil paper negatives from a photography
book in my library that I can't find at the moment to give the reference
for, but at any rate that's where I learned to oil negatives, and I
still use the same general technique that I learned there, which
involves heat and re-oiling until the negative is completely oiled and
stable. Here's how I do it:

I spread a layer of oil on the glass surface of my coating table, put
the negative down into the oil face down, then pour more oil onto the
back of the negative and work it in from the back by rubbing with a
paper towel until the back has been permeated with oil and you can see
all the tones that you can see in the negative viewed from the front.
This takes only a couple minutes, but is essential, especially with a
thick oil like mineral oil. Then I remove the oily paper to the drying
table, where I set it on a blotter (I keep one blotter separate for
oiling negatives so I don't spoil the blotters I use for drying gum
prints) and train a hair dryer on the negative with one hand while I rub
the negative with a paper towel with the other hand. As the oil dries,
areas of unevenness are revealed, which I then re-oil on the spot with
the oily paper towel from step one, while continuing to heat with the
hair dryer. This is repeated until the negative retains its transparency
until completely dry. A final polish of the warm negative with a dry
cloth finishes the negative. At that point it is dry and stable. It
sounds like a lot of work, but it takes only a few minutes and when
you're done you have a negative that will last for a long time without
re-oiling and without changing over time. I have test negatives that I
have used for years that are still as transparent as the day they were
made, as I said the other day.

I tried beeswax once for negatives but didn't like it for the purpose,
for reasons that I can't now remember; at any rate I did not incorporate
it into my practice but stayed with oil after trying the beeswax. Off
the top of my head now, I'd say that I wouldn't want to use raw beeswax
because IME it colors paper tan/brown, and I would think that might
affect the tonal relationships within the print. And I've only seen
refined beeswax in crystalline form, not in a bar like raw beeswax or
paraffin which is a much easier form to use for waxing (BTW, I have
found that an electric griddle is perfect for warming paper for waxing;
I keep two of them in my workshop for when I want to treat prints with
beeswax). And working with crystalline beeswax requires a hotplate for
heating, a dedicated pan, brushes, and IME is more work than oiling,
even by my rather involved oiling method.

Each to his own, is what I always say,
Katharine Thayer