Re: Handmade paper

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 10/26/04-03:16:13 PM Z

There's a wonderful platinum print by Ernestine Ruben made on handmade paper
in Christopher James' book "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes"
page 173. The author says "...handmade papers are generally inadequate
substrates for alternative process work due to the abuses of long water and
chemical immersion times..." My understanding is that the solution lies on
finding a way to treat "fragile" paper (good sizing? plexi support? also see
Post Factory Photography #9 p. 47 for an interesting way that can be used to
support fragile sheets - although I'm not sure if this applies to handmade
paper). James says Fabriano Esportazione is an (exceptionally) wonderful
handmade paper for alt. processes.

Hope this (little) info will help.

Regards,
Loris.