RE: Handmade paper

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 10/26/04-07:18:40 PM Z

Hi Alistair, I'm teaching a Year 2 college class alt this month, and one
thing the students always try is handmade paper. The only thing I'd say
about it is that you will need to do some experiments. Images on rough
textured paper can be hard to read, and some papers just fall apart in
the wash. For gum, this is a particular problem as there are so many
washes invilkved in the process. Recently I did some prints on a silk
and rice paper, which was flimsy but stayed together o.k. I dried the
prints by stretching on a board but they simply don't have the impact of
the same prints made on smooth paper - the texture gets in the way of
the image.

You would have to size a handmade paper quite heavily to get a gum
image to take properly; the same would apply to Liquid Light.

Good Luck
Kate