Re: Advice: Drying Large Sheet Film (20x24+)

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 10/31/04-09:24:21 AM Z

I have much better luck avoiding puddle/drying marks by hanging large
film. The advantage of Photoflo is that it makes the water come off the
film in a "sheet" rather than leaving drops. Exactly like the no spot
dishwasher products. This only works if the water has an "escape"
route. If the film is left horizontal (on a screen) then photoflo does
very little or no good.

For 4x5 to 11x14 inch film I simply hang mine from one corner over my
sink using a simple plastic clothes pin.

Very large film (16x20 or larger) won't be held by a single pin. On
these large sizes I use two pins on the short side of the film. This
allows the water to "sheet" off of the large film, onto the lower short
end of the film, and then fall off.

If, 5 or 10 minutes after hanging, you touch the lower end of the
drying film with some paper towels most of the excess water will be
absorbed and your drying time will be reduced.

Hope that helps.

On Sunday, October 31, 2004, at 05:45 AM, Sean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have finally graduated to larger films and wanted to get some
> direction on
> drying methods for large sheet films. I have been working with the
> Aristo
> APHS Litho Film (cost reasons), which as we all know is very delicate.
> have been producing positive films for a photogravure project, and
> have been
> called upon to create much larger work for the printer.
>
> Many thanks to Post Factory and its contributors for getting me this
> far.
>
> What recommendations can you offer after the photoflo bath? I have been
> screen air drying the 8x10 & 11x14 films with acceptable results
> (although I
> occasionally have to rewash a sheet because of drying marks), but feel
> there
> must be a better way.
>
> Any sharing of wisdom or witchcraft would be most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sean Farren
> Digital by Day. Analog by Desire.

Tom Ferguson