Re: 55 minute download

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/01/04-05:22:37 PM Z

From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
Subject: Re: 55 minute download
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:25:00 -0400

> With regard to Ryuji's comments about the "unsubscribe" requests, I
> don't really believe he is that naive.

Did I forget to put "hehehehehe?"

> But what is the big deal about the attachments? They downloaded on my
> system in less than two seconds. If your ISP requires 5 - 55 minutes
> it might be time to consider changing provider and joining the rest
> of us in the 21st century. Just a thought.

Some people may have high speed network at office/home but may be
retrieving emails through cell phone while they are away. Many
coffeeshops in my area has wireless internet connection but many of
them are weak and/or slow so I know the pain experienced by some
people. I think it is best to use attachments only when you send to
specific recipients and in place like mailing lists, put it on a web
server and refer to the link so that people can know to click on it
when they can afford to download a big file.

On the technical aspect, some of the popular mailing list servers have
functions to require admin approvals for postings with attachments, or
size exceeding some threshold. Also, some email servers have a
function to reject emails exceeding certain size unless specific
keyword is included in the subject line. The first one could be used
as a way to enforce no attachment policy, and the second for your
personal protection.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.