Re: 55 minute download

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/01/04-09:56:16 PM Z

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Sandy King wrote:

> But what is the big deal about the attachments? They downloaded on my system
> in less than two seconds. If your ISP requires 5 - 55 minutes it might be
> time to consider changing provider and joining the rest of us in the 21st
> century. Just a thought.

If Katharine, Rich, et al, hadn't pretty well covered the topic, Gord has
added the coup(s) de grace. But I am feeling reckless enough to note that
Sandy's e-mail address is @clemson.edu. Need I say more? OK, since you
insist: Some folks lack a tax-exempt public university as service
provider.

Finances aside, there's the principle. I resist the planned obsolescence
of the digital industry, which as noted in the business press has entered
the diminishing returns phase of its product. Nor is it the money or
primarily the money -- it's the bother. I need my remaining brain cells
for other pursuits.

There's also the fact that s/he who opens a free lance attachment will,
sooner or later, get stuck, whether the return address is this list, their
service provider or their Aunt Minnie, all of which I've received (among
others) that were clearly viruses. If I had a hard drive the size of
Alaska I still wouldn't open an unsolicited attachment. (And then if you
DO get it and it's not a virus, you have to think of something to say
about it.)

Judy