Dumb question about Van dyke toning

From: nwlorax ^lt;nwlorax@comcast.net>
Date: 04/03/05-12:48:10 PM Z

All:

I'm reentering the exciting world of post-factory photography this
month, and had a question about van dyke toning.

If I understand it correctly, one tones the print after rinsing in an
acidic (?) water bath, then uses an acidic bath with a noble metal for
a number of minutes, then fixes the print and rinses it.

Why the fixing step? If palladium platinum or gold have replaced the
silver, is there a need to fix the print? Has anyone done tests on
this?

Thank you

Gordon Cooper