Re: Way off topic (Skype)

From: fotoobscura ^lt;fotoobscura@gmail.com>
Date: 04/08/05-09:03:57 AM Z

I've been using Skype for about three years. Just to clarify, "free
long distance calls anywhere in the world" may imply to some that they
can call actual landline phones..although you clarify it later just
making sure..A lot of people think Skype (which is essentially a
software extension of VOIP) is this magical free service but they do
charge for internet-to-landline calls, as Dan says. However everything
else is on the money- The headset is key if you use it a lot..Dan is
right about the headset, too. If you use a microphone say on a laptop
or a microphone near speakers (likely!) you will likely get feedback.
The headset obviates that problem. Regular 56K calls work just fine (as
long as you're connecting at the top-end of that). No duplexing/delay
problems (talking over one another) usually...Broadband connections will
perform better of course. Think a poor-man's version of Vonage. (Oh
and don't rely on it for 911 either) :)

I speak with people in the South Pacific regularily with Skype and
record the calls (interviews with, yeah, Photographers! (on topic!),
etc) for transcription. So in agreement, Skype is great.

How Dan managed to discuss it on alt-photo-proc must be some magical
ability he has :)

Cheers,
Alex

p.s. One final thing regarding Skype availability. With regards to
Macintosh, Skype is currently available for OSX only....There is not a
client for OS9, etc yet.