Re: price of pt/pd printing

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/08/05-10:09:38 AM Z

George,

There are several people on the list with the knowledge and
experience to address this question so my opinion is not the only one
you are likely to hear.

I have some experience in printing with VDB as well as kallitype
based on ferric oxalate as well as pt./pd.

1. VDB is relatively inexpensive but for permanent results the image
must be toned. There is little contrast control with VDB, not very
much of an issue if you are working with digital negatives, but very
much one when using in-camera negatives. Also, compared to kallitype
and palladium the image is not as rich, in terms of Dmax. I believe
there is the potential for it to be as rich, but for a variety of
reasons we often lose the richness in processing. It is the least
expensive of the three processes.

2. Kallitype based on ferric oxalate gives images that are generally
higher in Dmax than VDB. Another advantage over VDB is that you have
a lot of control over contrast, in fact the same as you have with
palladium. But kallitypes, like VDBs, must also be toned for
permanence. Kallitypes toned with palladium have the same look and
contrast range as straight palladiums. However, there are more steps
involved in processing a kallitype than a pt./pd. print.

3. Pt./Pd is a simpler process (less steps) and if processed
correctly you have a print that is very permanent with no need for No
fixing or toning. A wide range of contrast control is possible. It
is the most expensive of the three processes.

All three processes are capable of beautiful images and if you are
printing for yourself with no professional objectives it makes no
difference which one you use. If, on the other hand your goal is to
make money from print sales through galleries I would recommend
Pt./Pd because it has more traction in the market, at least when name
recognition is not a factor.

Sandy