Re: Big trays

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 04/10/05-08:28:43 PM Z

In the . . let me say, years ago . . I had given up on color
photographic prints being made in one's home darkroom. It was simply
too difficult.

A friend (artist) whose work totally blew me away because it was
totally different, comical, and fascinating asked me if I could make
some 20 x 24 inch prints in color. Of course I said yes. I did not own
trays that big. He did not have any money but was clever. He made trays
from smooth Masonite and 1/2" x 2.5" door trim as sides to the tray. He
then used a caulk in the corners, duct tape on the bottom to sort of
additionally hold the door trim to the Masonite and smallnails to hold
it all together. he then epoxied the interior.

We heated the chemicals with small coffee cup heaters you plug into the
wall. My trusted Weston thermometer, which I still use, overlooked the
temperature.

Suffice it to say that nothing leaked, that I had the trays for years,
that we made darned near perfect prints and the lesson I learned was
that if you want to really do something, not just hoping or desiring,
that it will work out just fine for the individual aspect of
perspicacity always wins out.
Jack Fulton