Re: 2-phenylphenol

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/13/05-10:37:25 AM Z

From: Kare Bondeson <kare.bondeson@medsci.uu.se>
Subject: 2-phenylphenol
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:03:19 +0200

> 2-phenylphenol.
> Suggestions on how to make use simple, please. Stable stock solution
> possible in what diluent? Final concentration needed to
> bacterio/fungi-cidal effect?.

0.05% of the total solution (weight for volume) or 0.5% of the
susceptible organic material (gelatin, gum, sugar, etc.; weight for
weight), whichever is higher. This agent is very effective and the
dose is not very critical.

Alternatively, if you are already using thymol, use about 1/4 of the
quantity you find effective for thymol.

I haven't figured out suitable solvent for stable stock solution. You
can buy sodium salt of 2-phenylphenol, which is a lot easier to
dissolve in water. I think sodium salt is more common in bactericide
market. (Bayer and Dow make them.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know