Re: Print flattening

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 04/17/05-04:37:58 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Bailey" <jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 2:59 PM
Subject: Print flattening

> Hi all,
>
> I want to flatten some 20x24 prints in a dry mount press
> which measures
> approx. 19x22", but I'm having a problem. I'm flattening
> the prints in two
> passes and have sandwiched them between mat board. I'm
> not fully closing
> the top platen down, but I'm usually still getting a
> "seam" imprinted onto
> to the paper. What am I doing wrong? How do I avoid
> getting a visual
> impression where the overlap for the two pressings
> occurs??
>
> Also, will re-wetting get rid of these seams? Or...??
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Jon
> www.jonathan-bailey.com
> Tenants Harbor, Maine

   I have had fair success mounting large prints. I use a
method described in an old handbook published by Seal, I
don't think its been available for many years. I've posted
the method to the darkroom newsgroup and a couple of mailing
lists, maybe even this one. The main idea is that the
mounting tissue is bonded to the back of the print first
using release tissue. Then the print is trimmed to size. The
print is then tacked to the mount at a point on one edge.
The edge tacking makes a difference. Older instructions,
like Kodak's, show tacking at the center of the print. In my
experience this is guranteed to cause wrinkling or voids.
   Also, when I mount in sections I do lock down the press
and cool the section under a flat weight. I have not had
problems with lines on the print. The sections should
overlap. If the press can do the print in two sections use
three so there is some overlap. This will tend to prevent
marks at the overlap points.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA