Re: update: screw-in BLB light-box

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/01/05-09:16:25 PM Z

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, jude.taylor@comcast.net wrote:

> I did not use any reflectors, but that is a possibility that might help. The top of the box INSIDE above the bulbs is all white and should, as far as I can figure, reflect rather than absorb the UV. There are, however, several inches of space from the tip of the coil to the base of the ceramic sockets (top of box), and the sides of the box were not painted white or lined with reflective material.
>
> Hummmh! I wonder if silver / white "tea chest" paper lining would work?

Judy, I have no idea if my experience with reflectors would apply to your
experience with reflectors, but --FWIW -- I found that all the ones I
tried (with tube flourescents) diffused the light either some or a lot,
hence costing sharpness, some or a lot. Crumpled aluminum foil on the base
was the worst, but even just plain white cost sharpness. I don't know why
exactly. But I don't need to know why. I observed it -- (easiest to judge
how much with a 21-step of course).

"Tea chest" paper might be medium bad -- not likely to lie *perfectly*
flat, also with some pattern or mini-grooves of reflection, but not as bad
as crumpled foil.

That, BTW, may not happen in your setup as much as it did in mine if
you've got serious-level vacuum frame -- but that's only a guess. It could
be irrespective of print sandwiching techniques, but in any event needs to
be watched for.

Judy